Over the past 13 years, Water4 has grown into a provider of seed capital and capacity building to 19 enterprise partners in 15 countries in sub-Saharan Africa. These enterprises are vertically integrated providers of safe water services in the communities where they work. The businesses are supported through a rigorous capacity building program that includes nine core competency areas aimed to develop fully independent, sustainable and financially viable businesses. These areas present a holistic capacity building program that covers both technical (hardware) and soft skill (software) competencies like: financial stewardship; leadership; water, sanitation and hygiene (WaSH) training; sales and marketing, and water well drilling. As Water4 grows its enterprise base, it is looking to systematize its capacity building program to ensure alignment with its 2030 safe water goals. This requires an increased focus on planning, monitoring, evaluation and learning within Water4’s Program department.
The Technical Programs Manager (TPM) is responsible for leading the aspects of Water4’s programs related to the technical development of Water4 enterprise partners in their mission to provide safe water and related services to the communities and clients they serve. Specifically, the TPM will provide tactical and operational leadership and oversight for all Water4 enterprise partner technical operations, including the research and development of new and innovative technical solutions that will increase enterprises efficiency and lead to increased locally generated revenue. The TPM will also oversee Water4’s technical team that serves in a tactical and operational capacity to support these enterprises.
The TPM is also responsible for overseeing three of Water4’s core competency areas:
- First, the TPM will oversee Water4’s Water Well Services core competency area and lead the Water Well Services team to achieve their goals. They will work directly with Water4’s enterprise partners, building their capacity for drilling, developing wells, installing pumps and peripherals, and establishing service contracts in coordination with Water4’s Enterprise Development team.
- Second, the TPM will oversee Water4’s NUMA Water Services core competency area and lead the NUMA Water Services team to achieve their goals. They will work directly with Water4’s enterprise partners, building their capacity to implement, operate, and maintain profitable small piped water systems specifically by designing and utilizing cost effective tooling, parts, and components that are low cost to maintain over time.
- Third, the TPM will oversee Water4’s Geophysical Surveying core competency area and lead the Geophysical Surveying team to achieve their goals. They will work directly with Water4’s enterprise partners, building their capacity to reduce failure rates in boreholes by accurately interpreting survey results and selecting appropriate technology for drilling.
In all of these competencies, the TPM will help ensure that lessons from one enterprise are incorporated in the design of new programming for other partner enterprises, and that the impact and results of Water4’s investments – both funding and capacity building – are well understood and documented.
The TPM will work closely with the Director of Enterprise Development and Director of Drilling and Supply Systems to research and develop new and innovative solutions to provide lasting safe water services that are affordable to Water4’s targeted communities and profitable to manage for Water4’s enterprises. Manufacturing and design skills will be used to review and refine existing Water4 products used for water treatment, water supply, and drilling services. In addition, the TPM will prefabricate components and tools for Water4 systems to be used in the field.
The TPM will lead in the fulfillment of enterprise materials and supply requests to Water4, including consolidating annual order from enterprises, generating P.O.’s to Water4’s Vendors, and managing the purchasing, delivery, and shipping processes with support from Water4’s Director of Drilling and Supply Systems.
The TPM will also work in coordination with engineers employed by Water4 or their partners to ensure that the safe water solutions provided by Water4 and our enterprises are effective, lasting solutions within communities. Tasks may include product and process design in CAD, technical testing of Water4 products, and quality inspections of field construction.
Time Allocation of Responsibilities:
|RESPONSIBILITY||% TIME ALLOCATION|
|Provide support to and oversight of Water4 staff, consultants and partner enterprises in the areas of Water Well Services, NUMA Water Services, Geophysical Surveying, including developing and leading a team of staff and consultants and building the capacity of enterprises in these areas.||35%|
|Provide tactical and strategic support and direction for Water4’s programs, including setting strategic program goals, aligning partner enterprise technical plans and goals with Water4’s overarching plans and goals, designing and technically implementing safe water projects, and aligning enterprises with the district coverage model.||20%|
|Research and Development of new and innovative safe water solutions to provide lasting safe water services that are affordable to Water4’s targeted communities and profitable to manage for Water4’s enterprises.||20%|
|Fulfillment of enterprises materials and supply requests to Water4, including consolidating annual order from enterprises, generating P.O.’s to Water4’s Vendors, and managing the purchasing, delivery, and shipping processes.||15%|
|Develop and report on annual program plans and budgets related to Water Well Services, NUMA Water Services, Geophysical Surveying, including supporting the completion of Water4’s quarterly, annual and board reports.||10%|
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- 5+ years experience providing safe water solutions and developing technical solutions in an African context
- Extensive experience in manual and mechanical water well drilling, water filtration systems, piped water hydraulics, and geophysical surveying
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering with a focus on either Mechanical, Agricultural, Civil, or Environmental related fields.
- Experience with 2D and 3D CAD (AutoCAD or Solidworks), along with stress analysis using FEA
- Experience in manufacturing, including the ability to utilize Mig, Tig, and Arc Welding, Plasma machines and Acetylene blow torches, and drilling, cutting and grinding equipment.
- Extensive experience leading personnel and cross-cultural teams.
- Ability to effectively and creatively share Water4’s vision for helping create a world where all people have access to safe and Living water to diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated communication skills and ability to work cross-culturally
- Capacity to work both independently and within a team environment.
- Willingness and availability to travel 6-12 weeks per year and to work nights and weekends, as required.
- Willingness to collaborate to achieve common goals.
- Desire to continuously improve standards to maintain high levels of quality and impact.
- Openness to innovative ideas and perspectives
- Ability to navigate and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Mastery in listening carefully to and understanding the needs of others and proactively responding to those needs in a professional and timely manner.
- Desire to and interest in developing, motivating and mentoring staff.
- Proven leadership skills, including the ability to provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement.
The following competencies are expected of all Water4 employees
|Job knowledge||Demonstrates knowledge of purposes, objectives, practices and procedures required to perform the job.|
|Productivity||Produces a volume of work consistent with the normal requirements of the job.|
|Quality of work||Work is accurate, thorough and timely according to agreed standards and expectations agreed.|
|Communication||Expresses information verbally and in writing in a clear and coherent manner.|
|Reliability||Can be depended upon to perform assigned tasks in a timely manner and degree of supervision required.|
|Initiative||Exhibits drive to complete tasks and takes charge in the absence of detailed instructions.|
|Delegation||Delegating and following up regularly to ensure that delegated duties and responsibilities are carried out.|
|Teamwork||Establishes and maintains positive working relationships with co-workers and works to share responsibilities towards common targets.|
|Leadership||Motivates and builds morale, eliciting cooperation from subordinates and achieving results through a team effort.|
|Constructive Feedback||Accepts improvement-oriented ideas and offers the same to colleagues or those under their supervision.|
Position Reports To:
Director of Enterprise Development
Preference for Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
To Apply for this Job:
Please send cover letter, resume’, references and salary requirements to at HR@water4.org
April 30, 2021 – Planned start date for the position is June 1, 2021.
Water4, a 501 (c) (3) tax exempt entity incorporated under the laws of the State of Oklahoma, USA, is an international nonprofit using faith, innovation and empowerment to reimagine a world free from the water crisis. Water4 equips missional entrepreneurs in developing nations to create lasting economic, physical and spiritual change through market-based safe water solutions. This approach puts the solutions to local problems in the hands of local people and ensures that safe water access is sustained by local resources. Since 2008, Water4 has impacted the lives of over one million people in more than 30 countries through the power of safe and living water.